Read NZ Te Pou Muramura | Why Donate?
We want all children and adults in Aotearoa to read for pleasure, and all Kiwis to read more because:
- The increasing demands of society and work mean more than ever New Zealanders need to be able to read a wide range of information to function effectively at work and everyday life.
- Approximately 40 percent of adult New Zealanders lack the literacy skills needed to fully participate in our society and economy.
- Encouraging reading, particularly reading for pleasure, is critical for our nation’s prosperity and well-being.
- Establishing reading for pleasure as early in life as possible is important. Students who read for pleasure achieve at a higher level across all subjects than those who do not.
- Reading for pleasure is a more important measure of a child’s education success than their family’s socio-economic status.
We make a difference through:
- Delivering the Writers in Schools programmes, which encourgae studetnts to read and write.
- Ensuring the most disadvantaged students have access to the Writers in Schools programmes.
- Researching reading habits and barriers to reading.
- Delivering campaigns targeted to reluctant or non-readers to encourage reading.
- Advocating for the importance of reading.